Completing the graduate application process is an exciting step to your future success here at UNT. The below resources provide the opportunity for you to get started with helpful information and guidance for the application process.
Applicants are encouraged to apply to admission through the procedures outlined at Toulouse Graduate School (tgs.unt.edu) and concurrently submit a vita, statement of purpose, recommendation letters and examples of publications to the Graduate Advisor (GA) of Mechanical Engineering.
The department uses holistic criteria for admissions. The GRE, GPA, publications and research experience are all considered in the admission process.
Typical GRE scores should be 155 or higher on the quantitative section and 146 (150 for Ph.D.) or higher in the verbal sections. A high GPA and/or publication record and compatibility with existing research programs in the department are considered valuable. A request for financial support can be part of the cover letter and application of a department TA/RA position can be filled through the website.
Acceptable minimum English Language Proficiency (ELP) score is 79 (TOEFL) or 6.0 (IELTS).
Minimum 3.0 GPA in undergraduate coursework (for MS applicants or Ph.D. applicants with BS degree) and minimum 3.5 GPA in previous university coursework (for Ph.D. applicants with MS degree) is required.
Students must apply to the Toulouse Graduate School and meet the minimum requirements for graduate admission to the university. Students must also meet the requirements of the Department’s for graduate admission into the program.
- Review the admission criteria for Toulouse Graduate School
- Fill out the online application.
- Have official transcripts, GRE scores and any necessary supplemental materials sent to UNT.
- International applicants will need to supply proof of English proficiency as well as supply other additional documents. Read more about these requirements by visiting the UNT-International website.
- After receiving and setting up your UNT EUID, submit your supplemental documents to the department online.
Students must also submit the following materials directly to the Toulouse Graduate School:
- Official transcripts, degrees and academic documentation from all schools attended; should be submitted both in English and applicant’s native language If native language is not English
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in previous university coursework.
- Standardized test scores (sent via ETS) including GRE and TOEFL (for international students)
- Acceptable general GRE scores. Successful applicants to Mechanical Engineering typically present scores of 155 or higher on the Quantitative section and 146 or higher on the Verbal section.
Students must also submit the following supplemental materials directly to the ME Department:
- A detailed resume that includes educational experience, relevant work history and research experience
- GPA in previous university coursework.
- GRE Scores
- Three letters of recommendation (The Letters of recommendation must be sent in directly by the person recommending the applicant.)
- A Statement of purpose
- Check the mandatory scores accepted by the university for English Language Requirements.
Submit your supplemental material
The Department of Mechanical Engineering follows the application priority dates set by Toulouse Graduate School.
Fall applicants: We begin awarding assistantship funding on January 15th each year. To be considered for all funding opportunities, submit all required application materials by January 15th.
Things to Note:
- The application to the Toulouse Graduate School does not come instantly to the department once completed. There is a process the Graduate School takes before they mail the application to the department physically. Please allow up to, possibly, two weeks for it to get to the department. Please contact the Toulouse Graduate School in regards to a timeline and their official deadlines.
- International Students: Please have the application completed four months in advance before the desired semester starts. Ensure you are also in contact with the International School and the department about the required documents necessary for enrollment.
- Once the application is completed, the committee will meet and respond with a decision as soon as possible. Expediting is not guaranteed, but will be considered under request and provided a reason (outside of late application).
- Staff and faculty cannot provide detailed updates in regards to application process but please feel free to reach out with inquiries or concerns for:
MEE Degrees to Dr. Hamid Sadat, the faculty member you are interested in researching with, or MechanicalGraduate@unt.edu.
MSET Degrees to Dr. Huseyin Bostanci, the faculty member you are interested in researching with, or MechanicalGraduate@unt.edu.
- The department no longer takes email submissions for documents.