Completing the graduate application process is an exciting step to your future success here at UNT.
The department uses holistic criteria for admissions. The GRE, GPA, publications and research experience are all considered in the admission process.
Typical GRE scores should be 155 or higher on the quantitative section and 146 (150 for Ph.D.) or higher in the verbal sections. A high GPA and/or publication record and compatibility with existing research programs in the department are considered valuable. A request for financial support can be part of the cover letter and application of a department TA/RA position can be filled through the website.
Acceptable minimum English Language Proficiency (ELP) score is 79 (TOEFL) or 6.0 (IELTS).
Minimum 3.0 GPA in undergraduate coursework (for MS applicants or Ph.D. applicants with BS degree) and minimum 3.5 GPA in previous university coursework (for Ph.D. applicants with MS degree) is required.
A Statement of Purpose, a Resume and 3 Letters of Recommendation are required for supplemental documents.
There are two steps that must be completed to apply to our graduate programs. Students must meet minimum requirements for graduate admission to the university and the department requirements for the program.
Step 1: apply to UNT's Toulouse Graduate School
Step 2: apply to the Department of Mechanical Engineering
With your UNT EUID activated, submit your supplemental documents to apply to the department.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering follows the application priority dates set by Toulouse Graduate School.
Fall applicants: We begin awarding assistantship funding on January 15th each year. To be considered for all funding opportunities, submit all required application materials by January 15th.
Things to note
- The application to the Toulouse Graduate School does not come instantly to the department once completed. Please allow up to, possibly, two weeks for it to get to the department. Please contact the Toulouse Graduate School in regards to a timeline and their official deadlines.
- International students: please have the application completed four months in advance before the desired semester starts. Ensure you are also in contact with the International Office and the department about the required documents necessary for enrollment.
- Once the application is completed, the committee will meet and respond with a decision as soon as possible. Expediting is not guaranteed, but will be considered under request and provided a reason (outside of late application).
- Staff and faculty cannot provide detailed updates in regards to application process but please feel free to reach out with inquiries or concerns for:
MEE Degrees to Dr. Hamid Sadat, the faculty member you are interested in researching with, or MechanicalGraduate@unt.edu.
MSET Degrees to Dr. Huseyin Bostanci, the faculty member you are interested in researching with, or MechanicalGraduate@unt.edu.
- The department no longer takes email submissions for documents.