What is "Grad Track": Grad Track option is an accelerated program for ME, undergraduate students, to earn their BS/MS in 5 years. The student can take a maximum of nine (9) credit hours of graduate courses while the student is completing the BS degree. These credits will be counted towards both the BS and MS degrees.
How Does Grad Track Work?
Here is the step-by-step process:
- The student applies for the Grad Track option in the junior year (completed at least 75 credit hours with GPA of 3.5 or higher)
- After the application is approved and has completed at least 90 credit hours, the students can start taking the graduate courses as technical electives or energy electives for the BS degree requirement. For the graduate courses to be counted for the MS degree later, the student must get B or above for the courses.
- The student applies to Toulouse Graduate School within the first semester of the senior year. Once the student satisfies all coursework for BS degree they will be fully admitted to the MS program.
- The students must enroll in graduate school in the long semester after finishing their BS degree and should take the remaining graduate courses in the following year(s) to complete his/her ME-MS degree program. If the student did not enroll in graduate school in the long semester after finishing their BS degree, those graduate course credit hours will not be counted anymore for the MS degree even if the student comes back for graduate school in the future.
To apply for the Grad Track option, the student needs to meet the following criteria:
- The student should be a major in UNT Mechanical Engineering, Construction Engineering Technology, or Mechanical Engineering Technology BS program.
- The student can apply for the Grad Track option from his/her junior year (completed at least 75 credit hours, a benchmark is if the student is ready for ME Senior Design in the following Fall semester).
- Minimum of 3 .5 or higher cumulative GPA required at the time of application submission. Also, prefer to have an average grade of 3.5 for ME core courses.
How to apply?
- Fill out the Grad Track Toulouse Graduate School Application.
- Fill out the Grad Track Department Application.
- Attach a copy of unofficial UNT transcripts
- Attach two recommendation letters from ME faculty members
- Submit all documents to MechanicalGraduate@unt.edu
- For questions contact us at +1 (940) 565-2400
- Advance technical and other professional skills for managerial tasks
- Higher starting salaries and upward industry mobility
- Graduate degrees may count toward PE licensure in some states
- Doctoral opportunities with multiple career paths: students completing the MSET with a Thesis and satisfying other eligibility requirements may continue to earn a PhD in other engineering fields within the College of Engineering at UNT. In addition, MSET graduates may pursue PhD studies in management, in engineering, or in technology, or obtain a Doctor of Engineering (DE) degree offered by many universities. Some candidates may be interested in the Doctor of Jurisprudence (JD) degree for example in patent law, as well as doctoral programs in education such as the D.Ed. and Ph.D. opening doors to STEM teaching careers in High Schools and Community Colleges, or in Engineering Technology in over 100 US universities.